FireWire 800 Extension Cable Question

USB 2.0 - USB 3.0 - FireWire - Hubs - Cables - Adapters
2 posts Page 1 of 1
Corey
by Corey » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:23 pm
I plan to purchase a FireWire extension cable but would like to understand which cable would be the best solution.
I’d like to extend a FireWire audio interface that has 32 x 32 channels with a high amount of data streaming bi-directionally to a Mac Mini.

Option #1:

Lindy 20m Premium FireWire 800 Cable - 9 Pin Beta Male to 9 Pin Beta Male. Part No. 30745

Option #2:

Lindy 10m FireWire Active Extension Cable. Part No. 32958

Is there any advantage to either option?

I’m using a PreSonus RM16 audio interface connected to a Mac Mini 2012 (Yosemite 10.10) that streams digital audio into Apple Logic X back and forth (simultaneously / bi-directional) .

The Persons unit provides its own power and does not require any power from FireWire.

The Data Stream includes both Digital Audio and Control Data.

The FireWire cable goes directly from the audio interface into the Mac Mini.

Will the extended FireWire cable add any timing issues or additional latency?

The system is stable using a 6’ FireWire 800 cable so I don’t want to spend money on a solution that doesn’t perform as it is currently.

Please share any experience or testing that Lindy has done to confirm this solution will work and I will place an order immediately.

Thanks in advance

Sincerely,

Corey Carr
Music Producer Los Angeles
LINDY Shippers
LINDY Staff

by LINDY Shippers » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:38 am
Hi Corey,

We've never tested these adapters and cables in such a configuration, so I couldn't confirm 100% if either would work.

We always recommend to keep the passive cables as short as possible. Active cables are better for long distance. You would probably find better performance with a short passive cable from the active device.

The amount of total data in this setup would be quite a challenge even for active cables.

Best Regards
Chris
2 posts Page 1 of 1