USB Guitar Cable - Strange beeping noise.

USB 2.0 - USB 3.0 - FireWire - Hubs - Cables - Adapters
6 posts Page 1 of 1
LINDY Michael
LINDY Staff

by LINDY Michael » Fri May 28, 2010 9:16 am
We had a comment posted on our old blog by Gary. I've moved it here to our new forum.

Gary asked...

'Hi

I have recently purchased one of these cables and im having a bit of a problem with it. It gives out a strance constant beeping noise, not very loud just in the background like interference, ive tried changing input volumes etc but it doesnt seem to do anything. I increased the noise gate level and that gets rid of it while your not playing, but as soon as I start, I can hear it faintly in the background.

Hope you can help

Thanks in advance

Gary'

...and here's my answer :-)

Gary, a couple of questions first. Are you using a Mac or a PC? Is it a desktop or a laptop? Are you connecting directly to a USB port or via a hub? If you're using a PC have you installed the ASIO4all driver from here?:

http://www.asio4all.com/

If you let me know the answers to these questions it'll help me figure out what to do next.

Regards

MikeO

Anonymous
by Anonymous » Fri May 28, 2010 7:31 pm
Hi Michael

Sorry I was a bit vague there wasnt I lol.
Im using a MacBook Intel and Garageband and I'm Connecting strait into USB.

Thanks for getting back to me

Gary

LINDY Michael
LINDY Staff

by LINDY Michael » Sat May 29, 2010 4:49 pm
Hi Gary

Hmm, I was expecting you to say you were using a PC...I had an answer all lined up for you! :-).

We've not really had any issues with Macs and this cable so I've not come across this problem before. You could try plugging it into a different USB port to see if it makes a difference. In the meantime I'll check it with a G4 Mac Mini I have to see if it's a Garageband issue. I can also test with an Intel Macbook next week when I get back to work.

I'll let you know how I get on.

MikeO

LINDY Michael
LINDY Staff

by LINDY Michael » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:19 pm
A quick update...

I don't think this is an issue with Garageband. I've tried the cable with my Mac Mini and I'm having no beeping or digital noise at all when I'm playing. I tried it with a couple of guitars too, with both single coil and humbucker pick ups to see if the single coils were picking up any interference, but it was fine.

Will try to test it with a new Mac Book Pro and post any findings here.

MikeO

Anonymous
by Anonymous » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:03 pm
Thanks a lot for the info. It might be a faulty cable

LINDY Michael
LINDY Staff

by LINDY Michael » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:00 pm
Hi Gary

I've just been playing with the latest version of Garageband on a new MacBook Pro. I didn't have any problems at all with beeping noises when using the USB Guitar Cable, even using high distortion amp settings and no noise gate. I just plugged it in and didn't need to mess around with any settings.

So, I suspect you may have a faulty cable. If you don't mind filling out a return form here we'll get it tested and replaced.

MikeO
6 posts Page 1 of 1