4 Port DVI Audio/Video Switch & macbook pro

PS/2 - USB - LCD Consoles - Remote Management
15 posts Page 1 of 1
moritzschaaf
by moritzschaaf » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:01 pm
I have bought the DVI Switch LINDY No. 38032 and connected my macbook pro and my pc computer to it.
For the pc everything works fine, but the macbook pro does not recognise the monitor.

I already interchanged ports and cables but that didn´t fix the problem. All cables are funktioning well, but when I switch the DVI Input the screen stays black. When I switch back to the port the pc is connected to it works well on all ports and with all cables...

A restart of the macbook while connected doesn´t do anything, and switching off all devices and connecting them again in the manner described in the manual doesn´t bring any positiv results again.

I didn´t install any software, because there wasn´t any attached to the hardware, nore any drivers...
please help me out!

best reagrds
Moritz

LINDY John
LINDY Staff
by LINDY John » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:25 am
Hi Moritz,

Are you using any additional hardware such as an adapter with this? And what resolution have you set your mac to please?

Thanks,
John

moritzschaaf
by moritzschaaf » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:12 pm
I´m running the macbook 13" in it´s standart resolution. 1200x800
I use an adapter from mini display port to dvi and a standard dvi cable.
Now I bought a mini display port to dvi cable but that doesn´t work, too.

moritzschaaf
by moritzschaaf » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:24 pm
I did lower the resolution to the lowest option and restarted my computer, but that didn´t make it either....
The macbook does in fact notice that something is happening, when i change chanels, because i can see the screen gets black for a second. but nothing happens afterwards.

I´ll now switch off both computers again, restart the switch with both devices off nad then power them again.
I´ll do with the displayport to dvi cable connected to a next input. and will post if something happens...

- Nope, nothing changed. I also tested the displayport to dvi cable by directly plugging the big screen to the macbook. It works fine.
Last edited by moritzschaaf on Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LINDY John
LINDY Staff
by LINDY John » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:33 pm
We have just tested this on our Mac Mini with an Apple Adapter at your specified resolution and found no problems.

What adapter are you using? There may well be an incompatibility between the adapter and the switch.

moritzschaaf
by moritzschaaf » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:35 pm
I´m using an V7 adapter, but the cable doesn´t work, too.
Is there any software to install?

moritzschaaf
by moritzschaaf » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:44 pm
I have now connected another macbook (macbook air 13" standard resolution) to the third input of the switch with a display port to dvi cable.
I have the same problem, the macbook does notice that there´s something happenig, but the dvi screen stays black.

LINDY John
LINDY Staff
by LINDY John » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:18 pm
I am assuming the cables work fine without the switch, is that correct?

Try rebooting with the Mac connected to Port 1 of the switch. If the problem persists then I think there is some incompatibility perhaps with your adapter or cable and the mac.

moritzschaaf
by moritzschaaf » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:15 am
Good morning sir.

yes the cable (and the adapter) works fine without the switch. I have rebooted the mac, while connected to port 1 of the switch, but the problem persists... The macbook pro (and my macbook air, too) doesn´t recognice the dvi screen.

There are no incompatibilities with the cables and my mac, but there seems to be an incompatibility with the switch and mac osx. Because, when I connect another pc computer to the swich, it works perfectly (also with the the same cable I did use with the displayport adapter).

Please tell me if it is right, that there is no software to install on mac os to run the switch propperly. And let me know, what else I can do to to be able to use your hardware with my setup.

with regards Moritz

LINDY John
LINDY Staff
by LINDY John » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:13 am
I'm afraid it does sound like it is incompatible. What version of OSX are you using ? There is no software required with this device.

moritzschaaf
by moritzschaaf » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:40 am
I´m using mac osx maveric version 10.9.3.
Is it really possible that your hardware is incompatible with macbooks???
Or is this a problem with this specific switch?

Am I the only one who tries to run the switch with a macbook pro???

LINDY John
LINDY Staff
by LINDY John » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:00 am
We use the same software and have no reported issues from other Macbook user so it is difficult to say why you are having this problem. We have tried various adapters and cannot replicate the issue. I'm afraid you may have to consider returning the goods.

LINDY John
LINDY Staff
by LINDY John » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:06 am
After further testing, we think that there is an issue between the mini-displayport adapter and the switch/Intel chipests used in Macbook Pro's and Mac Mini's, and our switch. Our recommendation would be to use a HDMI switch in this case.

moritzschaaf
by moritzschaaf » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:41 am
That means the Switch I´ve bought doesn´t work with macbooks.
Can I return the hardware in this case?

LINDY John
LINDY Staff
by LINDY John » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:22 pm
Yes, if purchased directly from Lindy you can return the goods by completing this form http://www.lindy.co.uk/returns-i36
15 posts Page 1 of 1