2 Port KV Switch Trigger Issue on Dual Monitor

PS/2 - USB - LCD Consoles - Remote Management
3 posts Page 1 of 1
jbpatel63
by jbpatel63 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:28 am
Hello,

I recently purchased your 2 Port KV Switch (32163) through Amazon. My primary computer is a PC, and secondary is a MAC. It worked fine and I am happy with it. Today, however, I added a second monitor to my PC. It is a smaller monitor so I placed it to the right of my first monitor, and that's how I would like it. The first monitor has only a VGA port, and the second has both VGA and DVI. Therefore, I used VGA and DVI for the old and new monitors, respectively. I have one of each output on my PC.

The DVI port on my computer is designated port 1, so my new monitor on the right is #1, my old monitor on the left is now #2, and it is the main display This designations cannot be changed, as far as I know. My OS is Windows 7, and the screen is extended across both monitors: #2 => #1. The problem is the KV switch is wanting to trigger at the edge of #2 monitor, and because #2 monitor extends to #1, it won't trigger.

Any solution to this problem? Is there a way to tell it to trigger at the edge of #1 monitor? Or better yet, to trigger at the edge of the rightmost monitor (which should cover all scenariosl)?

Thanks
JP
LINDY Guy
LINDY Staff
by LINDY Guy » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:15 am
Hello JP,

As far as I am aware, there is no way of changing the virtual positions of the monitors in the KVM software, generally you would just have move the monitors to opposite sides.

What you could try is, on your PC if you go into Screen Resolution change which monitor is set to "This is my Main Display", that may then let you access both monitors without it switching. If that does not fix the issue, you could try physically swap the KVM dongles, that may then mean you move to the left on your PC, instead of the right when switching.

Guy
jbpatel63
by jbpatel63 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:13 am
Thank you, LINDY guy. I think you may be misunderstanding a part of my question. The problem isn't that it is not switching to my secondary computer. That part is working fine. The problem is that my primary computer has two monitors, and it is not triggering a switch to my secondary computer as expected. The natural assumption is that the switch software is designed to trigger on the right edge of your screen, because it works like this on a primary computer with single monitor. But I have two monitors on my primary computer.

After a bit more experimentation, I've figured out what the software is really doing when you have multiple monitors on your primary computer...

1. It determines which monitor on your primary computer is your "Main Display" (this is the flaw)
2. It waits and triggers switch to secondary computer when your mouse is exactly on the rightmost column of this "Main Display", 1,920th column in my case.

So, monitor designation numbers are irrelevant. If your "Main Display" is on the right, and you move your mouse all the way to the right edge, you will be exactly on the 1,920th column - viola, it triggers.

If your "Main Display" is on the left, such as in my case, it still triggers on this monitor's 1,920th column. I confirmed this by moving my mouse very, very slowly (so that I don't go over to the next monitor) until it was exactly on the 1,920th column of the monitor on the left, the "Main Display", and it triggered the switch! Obviously, I tried to move all the way to the right, which is the right edge of the monitor on the right. It DID NOT trigger the switch because this column is the 1,920 x 2 = 3,840th column.

I think the software have to be fixed :-)

I don't want to make the monitor on the right my "Main Display" because it's a smaller monitor and I don't want my screen to extend to the left.
3 posts Page 1 of 1