anti static mat

Anything that doesn't fit in the below or just general help
4 posts Page 1 of 1
lawlor59
by lawlor59 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:09 pm
Is there a built in 1M ohm resistor in the mat/leads also how would i connect it to an esd earth plug because all i can find are the plugs with 10mm studs and banana connectors
Thanks in advance

LINDY Chris
by LINDY Chris » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:41 pm
Hi Lawlor,

I have measured the ohms on the coiled wrist strap and there is a 1M ohms resistor present.

Best Regards,

Christopher Neale
Technical Support Engineer

LINDY UK | Tel: 01642 754040 | http://www.lindy.com

Gobbygit
by Gobbygit » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:53 pm
Hi Chris.

Can you please tell me the mat's 'surface resistivity' as well as what it's 'charge delay/decay' specifications are.

I see none of these important details mentioned anywhere on the product specifications. For all I know the mat itself might not even dissipate ESD at all since there is no mention of this information anywhere, my old one had that information supplied with it (it was made by another manufacturer/supplier) yet the Lindy one confusingly does not?

Thanks.
Last edited by Gobbygit on Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gobbygit
by Gobbygit » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:23 pm
Is there a built in 1M ohm resistor in the mat/leads also how would i connect it to an esd earth plug because all i can find are the plugs with 10mm studs and banana connectors
Thanks in advance
There is a 1MΩ resistor between the earthing ground wire and the snap fastener clip that goes onto the mat (it's behind the moulded snap connector housing) the 2 banana plug sockets on the same housing don't have any resistors built in, those two sockets are just connected straight through directly to the earth ground wire.

Optional banana plug to banana plug leads or banana to snap fastener leads or even the supplied banana plug to snap fastener lead don't have any resistors built in, the supplied wrist strap itself does, it's in behind the snap fastener housing on the band.

I hope that info is of use to you all that own this mat. ;)

Ps, if you also want to use the second banana socket, you need to make sure there there is a 1MΩ resistor fitted in-line to the lead you use on it or you will change the static discharge potential between the wrist band, mat and what ever you have the 2nd lead connected to. All items you are working on and handling need to be at the same static potential as yourself and the anti-static kit or you could possibly end up with ESD problems.

Regards,
30 years a technician, now retired. ;)
Last edited by Gobbygit on Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 posts Page 1 of 1