Lindy 51188 2s1p add on card compatibility issues

Serial - Parallel - SATA - IDE - USB - FireWire - Network
6 posts Page 1 of 1
DavidLloyd
by DavidLloyd » Tue May 12, 2015 8:40 am
Hi all,

Recently we (work) bought a 51188 2S1P Serial/Parallel Card (PCIe card). On the product details, it lists win7 as one of the OS's that its compatible with and supports it.

We plugged it into a Dell precision T1700 running windows 7 and windows would not recognise it, or even see it in device manager. Bios would not see it. I tried installing it in the PCIe-1 and a PCIe-16 slot and it was not recognised or seen in either. Installing the drivers from the CD didn't have any effect on this state of affairs - i.e. drivers installed, but the card was not detected by windows or in bios.

I also tried installing it into a second Dell PC running windows 7 and it didn't work there either in a PCIe-1 slot.

Seeing that it didn't seem to work, we returned it to Lindy (Brisbane, Australia) who promptly sent us a replacement card of the same type.

This second card behaves exactly the same - i.e. its not recognised or detected in either of the two windows 7 PCs. I then tried installing it into a (third) Dell PC running windows XP and it was immediately detected and installed correctly in that. Thus, it would appear that the card is fine, just that it might not be windows 7 compliant(?!?).

So.... how do I get it to be detected in windows7? Or is this not possible?

Thanks for your help.

David Lloyd
LINDY Shippers
LINDY Staff

by LINDY Shippers » Tue May 12, 2015 9:02 am
Hi David,

Could you try the drivers on our website under "view downloads"? - http://www.lindy.co.uk/components-tools ... -pcie-p271

We've had this working many times in windows 7, even on 8/8.1

Best Regards
Chris
DavidLloyd
by DavidLloyd » Tue May 12, 2015 10:04 am
Thanks for the fast response, Chris.

So far when I have installed the card(s) in the slots (on the win7 PCs) windows doesn't even detect that new hardware has been added (and there's nothing in device manager showing up either), so there's no new hardware to install drivers to or for. When I installed it into winXP, it was immediately detected as new hardware that was added (and then installing the CD drivers was all fine).

Tomorrow morning (we're GMT+10) I'll try installing the drivers you suggest, then after the software is installed, try installing the card into the PCIe slot(s) and see if its detected. Will let you know how it goes.

Dave L.
LINDY Shippers
LINDY Staff

by LINDY Shippers » Tue May 12, 2015 12:26 pm
Hi Dave,

It does sound strange. Is the card seating okay in the slot? Normally it should show in device manager without any drivers at all.
DavidLloyd
by DavidLloyd » Tue May 26, 2015 1:31 am
OK, I tried all the various drivers (suggested here and by email with Lindy Australia) and nothing changed - the card is still not seen in BIOS (it says 'empty slot' for the slot the card is installed in) and it is not detected in Windows (i.e. doesn't show up in Device Manager). This doesn't surprise me - I would suspect that the drivers would only be an issue if windows could detect the card in the first place.

Also tried installing card into different slots, putting video card into different slots (to make sure the slots all worked - they did) and updating BIOS to latest - still the 2S1P card was not recognised (or even seen) in BIOS or by windows.

Because of all this I suspect the problem might lie at a firmware level (?) or is it possible its maybe a compatibility issue between the card's PCI-e bus type specification and the motherboards PCIe slot bus type specification? (i.e. gen3, gen2 gen 1.1 gen 1.0a)

Dave L.
LINDY Shippers
LINDY Staff

by LINDY Shippers » Tue May 26, 2015 9:37 am
It does sound like an incompatibility issue between the card and PC at a low level.

As far as I'm aware all PCIe cards are backwards compatible with newer PCIe slots.

I'd suggest a return.

Best Regards
Chris
6 posts Page 1 of 1