HDBaseT HDMI extender problems (part No. 38119)

VGA / HDMI over Cat5/6 - PS/2 / FireWire / USB Extenders
4 posts Page 1 of 1
mf
by mf » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:44 pm
I have just bought and connected this device, but I can not get it working properly. The picture goes black and come back again all the time.

Here is what I have tried:

2 different hdmi sources: Xbox 360 and Pioneer VSX921 surround receiver
2 different hdmi destinations: Samsung TV C series and DELL monitor
3 different ethernet cables (direct connection): 2 meter cat5e, 5 meter cat5e, 20 meter cat6
2 different hdmi cables at both ends
Different picture resolutions at hdmi source
Powersupplyes are connected at both ends

but the result is always the same. A picture will be shown, but after some time (approx. between 2 seconds and 1 minute) goes black and come back again (approx. between 2 seconds and 1 minute). This continues. The interval between drops seems random.

I have ones observed a stable connection (no picture drops) after the units was powered on for about 15 minutes, but I could repeat that after the next power cycle.

The Link LED seems to go off when the picture drops and light again when the picture comes back.

It there anything else I could try to get it working other than returning for repair?

/MF

LINDY Shippers
LINDY Staff

by LINDY Shippers » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:04 am
Hello,

You have tried everything we would suggest.

Normally it would drop the picture like you have described if the CAT5/6 cable as too long / low quality, but you've tried other cables and short lengths, so I doubt that is the problem.

I'd suggest returning the item for testing / repair.

Chris

mf
by mf » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:27 pm
I got the part replaced and the new part seems to be working, but I still struggle to get it work in my setup:

A HDMI source (Xbox360 or WD Live) is connected to a Pioneer VSX 921 surround received using short HDMI cables.
HDMI Output from surround receiver is connected to the Lindy transmitter (short cables). The Lindy receiver is connected to a Samsung TV (C series), short HDMI cable. A 20 meter CAT6 cable is used between the 2 Lindy parts.

When the surround receiver is removed and Xbox or WD live is connected directly to Lindy transmitter, everything is working as expected.

When the Lindy extender is removed and surround receiver is connected directly to the TV, everything is working as expected.

When both surround received and Lindy extender is used, no picture or sound gets through. Normally a led on the surround received will indicate a HDMI source, this goes off when the HDMI transmitter output is connected to the TV (and the speakers connected to the surround received are then muted).

Also the LED on the Lindy parts indicating HDCP is off, whereas it is on when the surround received is not used.

So I think it has something to do with HDMI handshake not working when both parts are used. I tried powering on the devices as suggested in the Lindy manual. I have also tried disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cables, but the result is always the same. Any suggestions?

UPDATE: Adding a HDMI splitter (1 in 2 out) between the surround receiver and the Lindy transmitter solves the problem. However, this means extra power consumption and the splitter is only hdmi 1.3 complaint. Any suggestion how this extra splitter can be avoided?

By the way, does the Lindy extender support Audio Return Channel? Otherwise I will need an extra cable between the surround receiver and the TV for transmitting sound.
Last edited by mf on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

LINDY Shippers
LINDY Staff

by LINDY Shippers » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:18 pm
Hi,

It looks like a compatibility issued caused by our product and the VSX 921. This could be a problem with the handshaking.

We do not have a way of getting around this without the use of a splitter.

As far as I'm aware this product does not support ARC.

Chris
4 posts Page 1 of 1