HDMI over Ethernet extender C6 38119

VGA / HDMI over Cat5/6 - PS/2 / FireWire / USB Extenders
11 posts Page 1 of 1
redbuslondon
by redbuslondon » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:26 pm
After I had installed an about 40m long cable in the ceilings and walls of a restaurant I connected the transmitter and receiver units today, sadly the LINK LED doesn't come on. Connecting the two with a short patch lead works fine and instantly.
I've crimped the long cable myself and checked it with an Ethernet cable tester (a basic one with LEDs for each wire plus screen. No twists, no dropouts, all should be fine. Alas, it doesn't work with the Externder units.
The cable used is a solid core CAT6, fully screened (wire pairs separately and a braided screen mesh enclosing them all), the plugs are screened, too.

I've now replaced one of the plugs and rewired it, just to be on the safe side, but no change. I can and will do the other one only tomorrow.

Any idea anybody?
LINDY Shippers
LINDY Staff

by LINDY Shippers » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:20 pm
Hi, I think we may have spoken on the phone.

From seeing that a short patch lead works it makes me think that the longer structured cable has some sort of issue. A basic LED tester might not give you the full picture as these are basically a continuity tester. Is it possible to try a long pre made patch lead?

We have used solid core CAT6 with these units at 100m without issues as many of our customers have.

Please let me know if I can help in any way.

Best Regards
Chris
redbuslondon
by redbuslondon » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:29 pm
Yes, we might have talked.
Buying a pre-made patch lead with a length of 40m is not that straightforward and apart from that it took me two days to get the cable in place (over two levels, through and along walls, over suspended ceilings with loads of French language needed!)

The cable I used came right from a new spool. If the continuity is ok and there are no electric shortcuts (they would show up as two or more LEDs lighting up at the same time) what else can go wrong? It might of course be that the current used by the tester is much lower than the one used by the extenders.
I will replace the other plug tomorrow and see if there's any change.
LINDY Shippers
LINDY Staff

by LINDY Shippers » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:12 am
I'm afraid high bandwidth CAT6 applications can have more problems than just continuity. You could have potential for near / far end crosstalk, return loss or even a shielding problem. But the only way to find that is an expensive cable tester.

This is why I've suggested a pre made patch that has already been tested. If you could use this (even outside the wall / ceiling) it would prove if the unit is working correctly. If this isn't possible then we can get the unit back for inspection to check for a fault. You can do so here - http://www.lindy.co.uk/return-product-i374

Best Regards
Chris
redbuslondon
by redbuslondon » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:24 am
I've now again replaced the end plugs and bought a different type because I discovered that the grooves in the firstly used plugs were getting narrower near the contacts, narrower than in the short patch cable that I'd tested before with which I could get the link to work, so I reckoned the contact leaves in the units probably can't reach the contacts in the plugs. But no chance. The basic cable tester still shows continuity on all wires.

I mean I bought the best cable I could get with double screening which is not required according to the manual. I've only got 40m length as opposed to the 100m which are supposed to be possible. The cable is mostly lying flat in the ceilings, of course crossing or running along other cables, but that's why I chose the more expensive type. And where would you find an installation with no electric interference from anywhere? It's also not that I have got problems with the picture quality (I would be happy to get that far), the two units simply don't link to each other.
redbuslondon
by redbuslondon » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:18 pm
Discovering that the contacts on the new plugs are pushed in quite deeply and again fearing that the contact springs in the extenders can't reach them I've peeled all the plastic grooves away between the contacts of the plugs, tried with the cable tester, continuity is present and when twisting and bending the cable in the tester there doesn't seem to be any danger of two contacts being shorted so I tested the so modified plugs in the extender, still with no chance. I'm giving up now. I can't use a patch cable as I won't be able to get that through walls and door frames without drilling huge holes and as said before it's not easy anyway to find screened patch cables that long.
I'm going to send the extenders in to you for having them checked.
I had opted for the most expensive extenders and the best cable available because I thought the the more expensive the better but in this case that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm also not going to accept that the double screened CAT6 cable is the culprit.
redbuslondon
by redbuslondon » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:34 pm
I did two final tests today: I checked the installed cable (which must be around 60mtr, given what's left of the 100m reel) with a laptop and connected the other end to our internet router and it worked instantly.
Then I rolled the remaining 40mtr (or so) of the cable from the reel, laid it flat on the floor, crimped plugs onto both ends and conntected it to the two extender units. Again, no result, no link light coming on. I then cut a 2mtr piece off it and crimped another plug on its end, plugged it in and the link light came on the same moment. So what's wrong here? It seems as if the transmitted signal is too weak. A 10mtr CAT5e patch cable worked fine, by the way.
As I said, I'm going to send the extenders in for a thorough test and probably a replacement.
LINDY Shippers
LINDY Staff

by LINDY Shippers » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:38 pm
Hi,

It certainly doesn't sound right. It would be best we take a look as it could have a fault by the testing / description as you should be getting a lot longer.

Chris
redbuslondon
by redbuslondon » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:25 am
I've send the units in to the supplier and haven't heard anything back from them yet. Anyway, I purchased another pair of HDMI-over-Ethernet extenders for only £40 - and have got the same problem! They are supposed to work up to 60m ('and beyond with a good cable', in fact one customer is using a whole bunch of these up to 84m without a problem) but don't on my 60m cable and also not on the 'fresh' 40m cable from the reel. They link up with each other at least and I once had a picture but that kept coming and going.

So what can be the problem here? Any suggestions? Looking closer at the cable specification I only now discovered that it's CCA - copper cladded aluminium. Bugger! I'm almost sure that's the problem here. Or what do you think?
LINDY Shippers
LINDY Staff

by LINDY Shippers » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:32 am
We have had very bad results using CCA and do not currently sell it. It certainly will not help and could be the cause of your issues.
redbuslondon
by redbuslondon » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:35 am
Yes, sounds like it. Thanks for letting me know and sorry to bother you. But this should be a clear warning to others!
11 posts Page 1 of 1