Transfering Digital video to laptop without firewire port

Place to talk freely about anything you like
3 posts Page 1 of 1
skones68
by skones68 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:25 pm
Hi All.

I am new to the forum so excuse me if this topic has been covered previously. I am trying to transfer video footage from a Sony digital video tape camcorder to a new laptop which I have bought. The laptop (unsurprisingly) does not have a firewire port but the output from the camcorder is a i-LINK (IEEE 1394) firewire (400?) port. The laptop has 2 x usb 3.1 ports and 1 x usb 3.1 type c port (plus 1 x hdmi). I am operating windows 10 and have cyberlink power director video editing software.

After hours of reading on the net, I am still not clear on how best to do this ....... the USB 3.1 type c port appears to be my best option?

There appears to be a video jack that connects to a A/V cable so a possible solution might be to output from that into a usb video grabber using A/V cables but this seems a shame when a digital option must be out there somewhere.

Can anyone advise on a solution to this problem which is not going to be so expensive that sending the tapes off to a professional converter starts to look cheap.

Thanks

Steve
LINDY Guy
LINDY Staff
by LINDY Guy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:14 am
Hi Steve,

It's not currently possible to convert Firewire to USB as the technologies are too different. If your laptop does not have Firewire I'm afraid you may need to look at using a different PC which does, or if your laptop has any expansion slots such as PCMCIA / ExpressCard then that may be a solution for adding Firewire to your laptop.

Guy
skones68
by skones68 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:14 pm
Thanks for the response. I suspected as much despite the many internet posts that suggest by connecting a series of adapters you can get there. :(
3 posts Page 1 of 1