Lindy SPDIF DAC Pro - only getting one channel

VGA - HDMI - Wall Plates - Speakers - Switches - Splitters
2 posts Page 1 of 1
Terrier
by Terrier » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:08 pm
Hi there, hopefully someone can help me out with this as I'm a bit baffled.

I bought one of these from Amazon to connect to my TV which has a Toslink port so I can get the sound from my PlayStation 4 going through my analogue amp (an old Audiolab 8000). The only trouble is, one channel is so quiet that it's essentially silent unless I turn my amp up to the point where my town would be reduced to rubble if it was receiving any 'normal' input level. The PS4 is set to output linear PCM. I changed things out to make sure the problem wasn't with the amp inputs, phono cables etc. as well as checking if the same problem occured when connected to the PS4's optical port rather than my TV's (it did) then returned the apparently faulty DAC and bought another, which arrived today. Unfortunately I'm getting the exact same result so I'm now at a bit of a loss, since I wouldn't have thought it likely that two units would have the same exact fault.

Can anyone help shed any light on this please? Is there some sort of incompatibility going on or setting that I'm missing? The PS4 sound comes through the TV speakers fine on both channels so if it's passing that through I would've thought there shouldn't be an issue.

LINDY Guy
LINDY Staff
by LINDY Guy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:49 am
Hi Terrier,

Normally if the problem happens with 2 different source devices then it would point to the DAC being at fault, however it's very unlikely that you would get 2 units with the same issue. It is possible there is some form of incompatibility occurring however to confirm that you would need to try it in a completely different set-up with different cables, is that possible?

Are the optical / toslink cables seating into the optical ports correctly? While it may seem silly, sometimes low audio can happen if the dust caps are left on the optical cable. Could you check these have been removed please?

Guy
2 posts Page 1 of 1