Lindy 38051 HDMI 4X4 4K Matrix not passing 4K only HD 1080P

VGA - HDMI - Wall Plates - Speakers - Switches - Splitters
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Mirage Digital Video
by Mirage Digital Video » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:34 pm
Hi,

I have been using a Lindy 38051 4X4 4K Matrix switcher for some time now with all HD sources and it has work perfectly without any problems.

Last weekend I purchased a new LG OLED 4K TV for my conservatory which replaced my Panasonic Plasma HD set and decided to watch some 4K content from Netflix through my new Virgin V6 box.

The Virgin box during test setup would only detect that I had an HD TV attached to the HDMI Cable which although is a High Speed cable it only gave me 1080p

I changed the source from the V6 box to a brand new Apple tv box which is also 4K and the same thing happened, I could not get 4K pictures.

I therefore disconnected the Lindy Matrix switcher and removed the HDMI lead feeding the conservatory and directly connected it to the Apple TV and it worked just fine sending great 4K pictures.

Then did the same with the Virgin V6 box, put this into test mode and this time it detected I was connected to a 4K TV and gave me the 2160 4K resolution and worked just fine with Netflix in 4K.

Has anyone else experienced problems with this switcher?

I am running all Lindy High Speed cabling both source and output.

Andy
LINDY Guy
LINDY Staff
by LINDY Guy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:12 am
Hi Andy,

The reason you are not able to get 4K through the matrix with your devices is because the matrix is rated as HDMI 1.4 with up to 10.2Gbps of bandwidth.

The new 4K devices require HDMI 2.0 support with the copyright version HDCP 2.2 up to 18Gbps of bandwidth. I'm afraid if you wanted to keep a matrix in your set-up, to use 4K then you would need to upgrade to a newer 18G matrix.

Currently we have this 4x4 version available:

https://www.lindy.co.uk/audio-video-c2/ ... tch-p10423

Guy
Mirage Digital Video
by Mirage Digital Video » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 pm
Hi Guy,

Thank you for that prompt reply and detailed explanation as to why I cannot pass 4K pictures through my Lindy 38051 switcher which clearly explains everything I need to know.

What I can't understand is that the switcher says it supports 4K which was the reason for buying this model in the first place knowing at some point I would upgrade to a 4K TV and 4K cameras for our Video Production business.

Are you saying that this switcher has never actually supported 4K only HD? or is it that the specification standard for HDCP compliance 2.2 has become the norm on all newer 4K Televisions?

Thanks again for the info.

Andy
LINDY Guy
LINDY Staff
by LINDY Guy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:37 pm
Hi Andy,

The 38051 does support 4K however up to the HDMI 1.4 specification which means it is limited to 4K 30Hz with HDCP 1.4.

New "UHD" TVs work at 4K 60Hz, with the newer HDMI 2.0 standard which can also include HDR (High Dynamic Range colour). HDMI 2.0 also includes the new copyright protection version which is HDCP 2.2, this is also required for certain devices to function at 4K, for example: Sky Q, Netflix, Amazon or 4K Blurays.

Guy
Brandel
by Brandel » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:40 am
Hi Andy,

The reason you are not able to get 4K through the matrix with your devices is because the matrix is rated as HDMI 1.4 with up to 10.2Gbps of bandwidth.

The new 4K devices require HDMI 2.0 support with the copyright version HDCP 2.2 up to 18Gbps of bandwidth. I'm afraid if you wanted to keep a matrix in your set-up, to use 4K then you would need to upgrade to a newer 18G matrix.

Currently we have this 4x4 version available:

https://www.lindy.co.uk/audio-video-c2/ ... tch-p10423

Guy
Thanks for the heads up. I'm kind of researching right now and trying to decide what to go for.
Mirage Digital Video
by Mirage Digital Video » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:33 pm
Thank you for your replies regarding my Lindy 4X4 HDMI Matrix 38051 switcher.

The new switcher you have recommended is well over £700 which at present after buying my new LG OLED TV etc. is out of my current budget.

However, can I ask if the following HDMI Splitter might resolve my issue for the time being and still allow me to keep my current Matrix 38051 switcher in place for the rest of the building.

This is my current set-up going in and out of my 38051 switcher:

INPUTS
Input 1 = Virgin V6 Box (Currently HD but can output 4K)

Input 2 = Humax Freesat Box (HD)

Input 3 = Apple TV V3 Box (HD)

Input 4 = QNAP NAS for Movies etc.

OUTPUTS
Output A = New LG 4K OLED TV

Output B = Optoma HD Projector

Output C = Panasonic HD Plasma TV

Output D =- Currently NOT used

OK so after reading what has been previously mentioned in the reply posts, the problem I have is that I cannot receive 4K from my Virgin V6 Box only HD when going through the Lindy 38051 HDMI Matrix Switcher to my new LG OLED TV. Reason given is the switcher is only HDMI 1.4 and HDCP version is not 2.2 so NOT compatible with the new LG 4K OLED TV Device.

If I plug my LG OLED TV directly into the Virgin V6 Box by bypassing the switcher, it works fine and receives 4K without any problems, but then the rest of the building cannot view the Virgin V6 Output as it is no longer sending a signal to the Matrix switcher.

Therefore, I have been studying the Lindy product range and noticed they manufacture a 4K HDMI Splitter Model: 38240 that does support HDMI V 2.0 and HDCP V 2.2 compliance - 2 Port HDMI 2.0 18G Splitter No. 38240

Am I right at presuming that if I was to purchase one of these devices and connect my Virgin V6 Box to the input and send one of the outputs to my New LG 4K OLED TV and the second Output back to Input 1 of my Lindy 38051 Matrix Switcher, then I should be able to receive 4K output from the Virgin Box but also view HD output around the rest of the devices in the building as normal using the Matrix switcher?

For your information, I have already purchased a new Apple TV V4 4K which is connected directly to my new LG OLED TV so no need to feed the other Apple TV to it at all, neither do I need to feed the Freesat to the LG and I have found that the NAS is recognised by the new LG OLED TV through the high speed Gigabit network and plays the stored movies without going through the HDMI feed directly from the NAS and through the switcher, so again I only really need the Virgin V6 Box connected directly to the LG OLED TV and no need to receive anything on this new device connected to the Matrix switcher at all.

Do you think the 38240 Splitter will work in this scenario?

Sorry for this post being so long winded, but hope you can understand what I am trying to do here.

Andy
LINDY Guy
LINDY Staff
by LINDY Guy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:22 am
Hi Andy,

Unfortunately while a splitter would give you the same picture to 2 TVs, it would not resolve your problem. A splitter would look at what TVs were connected and then choose the most appropriate resolution for both.

For example if you set it to 4K then only your 4K TV would get a picture as your HD TV / Matrix is not capable of receiving 4K. Again if you were to set up to 1080p you would have your existing problem, both TVs can receive a picture however only at 1080p.

The only way that could work would be if you were to put a downscaler on the output to the 1080p TV, however I'm afraid we don't currently stock anything suitable.

Guy
Mirage Digital Video
by Mirage Digital Video » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:28 am
Thanks Guy for explaining the splitter, so would this be the same scenario if I was to buy the new 4x4 HDMI 2.0 18G Matrix Switch you recommended earlier?

If the Virgin V6 box is putting out 4K to the switch and I want to pass that through to the OLED TV in 4K and also to another HD TV at the same time, am I right at presuming I will need to downscale the switch output going to the HD TV or any Non 4K devices such as my Optoma Cinema Projector?
LINDY Guy
LINDY Staff
by LINDY Guy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:37 am
Hi,

Yes that is correct. If you are wanting the same picture to go to 2 displays that are of different resolutions (for example 4K and 1080p) then you would need some form of downscaler for the lower resolution TV, otherwise the resolution would be lowered for both screens.

Guy
9 posts Page 1 of 1